You’ll want to set your alarm clock extra early this Saturday for the chance to see a sky full of color over Lake Travis — it’s the 25th Annual Lake Travis Flight.
The Central Texas Ballooning Association plans to launch hot air balloons at sunrise (approximately 6:45am — weather conditions permitting) from Mansfield Dam Park. Allow yourself enough time to grab some donuts, find a parking spot, and check out all the pre-flight sights and sounds.
Pilots and crews will arrive around 6:00am to prepare for the morning events. Although rare, flights have been cancelled due to weather. But even with this possibility, you can still enjoy the opportunity to see these floating wonders and the balloonists up close and in action beforehand.
Inflating time is approximately 15 minutes; and while there isn’t a set path — the balloons could venture anywhere from the Lakeline Mall to Jonestown — flight time is about one hour. After landing, the crew and pilots will head back to Mansfield Dam Park where you can join them for a tailgate party.
If you’re planning to attend the 25th Annual Lake Travis Flight, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Don’t forget coffee, donuts, and your camera/phone for some colorful photo ops.
- When arriving at Mansfield Dam Park, you can go to the south side (right) for free parking — prepare for impromptu parking on rocky surfaces. You’ll have to pay a fee if you go left and grab a spot beyond the park entrance.
- You can keep it simple and stand around to watch the launch or bring along chairs and blankets.
- Things can happen fast depending on wind conditions, so make time to arrive early for parking and if you want to see (and hear) the pre-launch routine.
- Keep informed of any possible changes by visiting the Central Texas Ballooning Association website before the actual event.